Saturday, January 2, 2021

My Five Golden Rules for Adding New Smart Devices

 



Maybe you're still in the planning and research stage for your own smart home.  Or maybe you've already established a platform.  But at some stage, you are probably going to add new devices, actions and automations.  If you are sharing your household with others or routinely have visitors or guests, you'll want to assure that your smart home is following the goals you initially established.


For my situation and personal goals, I've established 5 "golden rules" that each new device must follow before I consider integrating it into my smart home.  Obviously, your situation will be different and your rules will vary as a result.  So, feel free to adopt, omit or modify any of these rules (or add your own).

  1. Never remove existing functionality when adding or enhancing a device
  2. Every device should have at least two (preferably more) methods of control
  3. Devices should be easy to replace, upgrade or restore to original equipment
  4. Devices should have local control if at all possible (even if cloud is an option too)
  5. High W.A.F. (Wife Acceptance Factor)
I'll explain each of these self-imposed rules in a little more detail.

Never Remove Existing Functionality


If you live with other household members, please do not do what is done in this photo!  Smart devices should add functionality to your home and not remove it.  I've seen this done repeatedly.  Usually the case is that someone wants to control a lamp or other device that is plugged into a receptacle that is currently controlled by a wall switch.  So, they throw a smart plug into the outlet.  The issue is that if someone flips the wall switch off, it also powers down the smart plug, rendering it useless.  Conversely, if the smart plug is set to off, the wall switch has no effect and will not turn on the connected lamp (or other device).  So, the easy answer is to simple tape off or remove the wall switch from the equation.  But what you have really done is removed the simple functionality of a wall switch control and replaced it with something else... that might be less accessible or easy for others to use.

If I find myself in a situation where I want to add "smart" functionality to a "dumb" device that would require me to do something like the above, I look for alternatives where I might be able to add those smarts without taking away the existing switch functionality.  In this particular case, I could use a smart relay behind the switch (like a Shelly 1 or a Sonoff Mini) that gives the smart control while maintain full functionality of the original switch.

Regardless of the project, I always assure that it will add new, or enhance existing functionality in the home without eliminating existing controls or replacing a simple control with one that is more complex.

Every device should have at least two methods (or more) of control



Every device should be controllable by at least two different methods... the more the better.  If it is a smart device, the assumption is that it is at least controllable via the smart home platform (e.g. Home Assistant, Hubitat, etc.).  But the device should have alternative control methods in the event that someone in the house doesn't have immediate access to the smart platform control system.  This could be voice control via a smart speaker (Google, Echo), contact switches or motion detectors, or even a "muggle" switch (I use the term "muggle" here, from Harry Potter, to refer to a standard wall switch, simple push button or other simply manual control that is straightforward for anyone to understand and use... even if they have no knowledge of the "magic" in your home.  In fact, wherever possible, I try to add a muggle control of some sort if one doesn't already exist.  For example, for my undercabinet LED lighting, I added a simply push button to turn them on and off.

Devices should be easy to replace or restore to original equipment


This is a personal rule for me, but odds are that sometime in the next 5 years or so, we will look to sell our home and move.  And since nearly all my devices work locally on my Wifi, are dependent upon Home Assistant and/or require personal accounts, these devices simply won't work for the new owners (not without a LOT of work!).  So, I don't install anything that can't be "backed out" and replaced with the original equipment.  I keep a box of everything I replace or upgrade, along with copious notes (especially for things like 3 and 4-way switches).  I also don't install anything that requires major construction (or require major repair when removed).  For example, my auto-stair lighting is surface mounted and held by rails mounted with brackets and the smallest screws possible.  I've seen others that actually route out the wall stringers and embed the LED light strips.  Yes, theirs looks much more professional... but not easily removable!  I will be able to remove mine with just the tiniest screw holes that will be all but unnoticeable.

Devices should have local control


All devices should have local control, without the need for a manufacturer's app, cloud account or Internet connectivity.  I don't always follow this rule 100% of the time, as occasionally there simply isn't a viable option (yet) for a handful of my existing devices.  I consider it acceptable if a device has both local and cloud control, but will rarely use the cloud option unless it provides very unique features.  This aligns with one of my overall goals... everything local with none of my data or activities leaving my house.

High Wife Acceptance Factor (or Family Acceptance Factor)


I mentioned in a previous post the connotations around the use of the term "Wife Acceptance Factor".  Better terminology would probably be Family or Spouse acceptance. However, since these are my personal rules, and for me, having the wife on board and accepting of home automation is very important.  Following the other rules above (such as not removing complexity) goes a long way here.  Regardless, the other members of the household need to be accepting of the technology you are adding.  Otherwise, you will eventually face resentment and pushback on future projects.  One approach I took early on, was to create a few automations that were directly for her benefit.  Washer and dryer notifications, an electronic parking assistant, the ability to turn off the lights from bed after reading, etc.  Once she saw the benefit and convenience of some of these automations, she was much more willing to get on board with future projects.  However, I always discuss any bigger ideas with her before beginning, including the impact, how they will work and how they will be accessed/controlled.

Conclusion

So, these are my personal rules I try to follow for each new smart home device or project.  I something doesn't meet all five rules, I consider alternatives or different approaches.  On rare occasion, I might slightly bend one rule or the other (well, except for the last rule).  I'd encourage you to come up with your own ruleset and assure those rules align with your overall goals for your automated smart home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To help eliminate spam and to keep all conversations civil, submitted comments are moderated. Therefore your post may not show up immediately. Please be patient as most reviews are completed within a few hours.